Community Hall Letting Policy
St James Church, Silsden
Our Vision is to be a Jesus-Shaped Church
- The Community Hall (the “Hall”) adjacent to The Parish Church of St James the Great, Silsden (“St James”) is a significant part not only of St James’ history and heritage, but also of the Silsden community. St James’ Parochial Church Council (“PCC”) has the responsibility for maintaining the Hall for use and enjoyment by future generations.
- The following document sets out the PCC’s lettings policy in relation to the letting of the Hall. This policy takes into account consideration of The Equality Act 2010.
- A Premises Hiring Agreement must be completed and signed in respect of every booking of the Hall. The person signing the Premises Hiring Agreement shall be known as “the Hirer” and shall accept full responsibility for the due observance in all respects of the Terms and Conditions as set out in the Premises Hiring Agreement. The Hirer must be a responsible adult.
- The current form of Premises Hiring Agreement shall be published on St James’ website and will be reviewed from time to time by the PCC
- Community Use
2.1 St James wants the Hall to also be a resource for the community of Silsden, through Church activities, Church sponsored activities and activities:
- which help to create, maintain renew and develop links between St James (or the wider Church) and the local community
- which build community in Silsden and beyond.
2.2 St James therefore seeks positively to encourage community organisations to use the Hall for community meetings and activities.
2.3 To ensure that St James is not seen to favour any political party the PCC is not able to accept bookings which promote any political party; neither is the PCC able to accept bookings where the PCC considers that such use or activities may cause offence to anyone on grounds of religion.
3 Lettings Restrictions
3.1 All events are to finish by 10.30pm, with the Hall to be empty by 11pm.
3.2 Bookings will not normally be taken for events likely to create noise or other nuisance to neighbours.
4.1 We will normally charge for the use of the Hall by external organisations; however, charges may be waived or reduced in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the PCC.
4.2 Charge rates will be set at a reasonable rate, consistent with covering costs, providing a modest contribution to overheads (including paid staff) and maintenance costs, plus a contribution to reflect the volunteer time freely given for the running of the Hall.
4.3 A discounted charge rate will apply to charities and Silsden non-commercial community organisations.
4.4 Current applicable charges will be:
- reviewed from time to time by the PCC ; and
- published on St James’ website.
4.5 If the Hirer wishes to cancel the booking, the PCC may, at its absolute discretion, refund any fees paid, but shall be under no obligation to do so. The PCC reserves the right to cancel the booking if exceptional unforeseen circumstances arise and without a reason being stated. In the event of the PCC cancelling the booking, all fees/deposits paid by the Hirer shall be refunded.
At the direction of the PCC proposed bookings of the Hall will be administered by St James’ Parish Administrator, following this policy.
St James Church Silsden PCC (Parochial Church Council)
Adopted 17 February 2019